Honey-spiced Tofu Chili
Ok, I said there would be recipes and now we’ve got a recipe! So, I’m not a health food nut or even a vegetarian (however I am respectful of those who are) but this chili is amazing. If you aren’t sure about tofu or meatless chili in general, I highly recommend this.
15 oz. package firm tofu ½ t. dried oregano
1 T. vegetable oil ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 c. chopped onion 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
¾ c. chopped green bell pepper 15 ½ oz. can red kidney beans, undrained
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 T. chili powder ¼ c. honey
1 t. ground cumin 2 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. salt
- Using a cheese grater, shred tofu and freeze in zippered bag or airtight container. Thaw tofu, place in strainer and press out excess liquid.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; add onion, green pepper and garlic, and cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and crushed red pepper.
- Stir in tofu; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in dices tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, honey and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes 6 servings but this recipe is really easy to doctor up, so use your imagination!